“Boris, binning the Backstop still isn’t Brexit,” say eight Brexit groups
The clearest clean-break Brexit statement yet produced
© Brexit Facts4EU.Org
Below is the unequivocal statement of eight Brexit organisations regarding any attempt to re-present Mrs May’s Withdrawal Agreement, minus the Backstop.
This sets out in the clearest terms yet published why the Prime Minister was right when he described this agreement as “dead”.
If eight Brexit groups - each with their own particular expertise, special interests, and readerships - can come together to back a statement like this then we feel the Government will want to listen.
Brexit Facts4EU.Org Summary
“Boris, merely binning the Backstop isn’t Brexit”
Here are 12 simple reasons
Readers may also download this document as a one-page PDF, for use as leaflets
- This Agreement – even without the ‘Backstop’ - will put the UK under the de facto jurisdiction of a group of 27 foreign powers, leaving the UK powerless to veto laws or procedures affecting the UK and its citizens. (Articles 4, 86, 87, 89, 132, 168, 174)
- The EU27 can make decisions behind closed doors which can profoundly affect British businesses, citizens, and the economy. They can impose new taxes on the UK and prevent state aid, crippling vital industries as well as the UK’s all-important financial sector. Parliament will be able to do nothing about it. (Articles 86, 93, 95, 132 (2c), 159)
- It gives the EU an effective veto on our foreign policy too. We will not be allowed to undertake “any action or initiative” which the EU thinks might damage the EU's interests, and it positions UK defence under the EU Global Strategy, threatening our position in the ‘Five Eyes’ intelligence alliance, and unacceptably constraining our freedom of action on the world stage. (Articles 129, 132, 156-157)
- Any amended Northern Ireland Protocol will impose existing and new Single Market rules, with no UK say over them, and it will effectively split off Northern Ireland, breaking the United Kingdom in two. (Protocol Ireland/NI, esp. Art.6)
No taking back control
- The UK will remain under the jurisdiction of the European Court of Justice. This will last during ‘transition’ and the agreement makes provision to extend this until 01 Jan 2023. (Articles 4, 6(2), 87, 95, 128, 132, 158, 168, 174)
- In some parts of the law, British courts will have to obey the EU’s courts for over 100 years. (Article 39)
- We will have no control of our waters for the UK’s fishermen and we will not be able to make ourselves more competitive on the world stage for our industry or service sectors. (Articles 130, 185 (Art. 6 of the NI Protocol); Article 129 (7))
No trade deals, a continuation of the trade deficit, and continuing to subsidise the EU27
- The UK will have no right to do international free trade deals – a key economic benefit of Brexit – because it must stick to protectionist EU tariffs. The British public will not benefit from an independent trade policy, which would result in cheaper imported goods and stronger exports. (Articles 40-49, 75-78, 127, 129 (4), 132)
- The EU can do new free trade agreements with other countries, and the UK will have to match the new lower tariffs, but the countries involved will not have to offer the new low tariffs to the UK. (See 8. above)
- Instead, our £100bn annual trade deficit with the EU will continue – a deficit which means lost jobs and lost money which could be spent on services, infrastructure and investment at home.
- The Agreement will mean the UK paying the biggest divorce settlement in history, over £39 billion, with no new UK-EU trade deal in return. The final amount will be decided by the EU, with no say by the UK. (138-144, 152-155)
This is not Brexit in any way, shape, or form, and doesn’t even give us a trade deal
- The Withdrawal Agreement and Political Declaration – even without ‘the Backstop’ - lock the UK into a continuing and subservient relationship with the EU, agreeing to match and ‘build upon’ current arrangements, giving away money, sovereignty, laws, and even decisions on the very composition of the United Kingdom itself.
The UK will not be a truly sovereign nation until we leave the EU completely.
A clean-break Brexit is now the only way to go forward.
© logos are copyright of each organisation
For more about this exciting new Brexit initiative, see our launch article here.
At the request of politicians we have included references to the clauses in the current ‘Withdrawal Agreement’.
These are therefore not bald statements – they are backed by facts. Most MPs have clearly not read Mrs May’s Withdrawal Agreement. We have, which is why we have been able to demolish it so emphatically.
We state again: This is no basis for the departure of the UK from membership of the European Union.
Will you support this campaign?
Brexit Facts4U.Org are embarking on an initiative to spread this far and wide, using the social media, directly to the press, and directly to MPs. We hope that readers will get behind this initiative starting now, and continuing as we produce more material in the coming days and weeks.
Finally, if you like what we are doing, please remember that something like this takes far more time than it looks. We really need readers to donate so that we can drive this thing with maximum effort. We hope you can contribute today. Quick and secure donation methods are below. Thank you.
[ Sources: Eu Commission ] Politicians and journalists can contact us for details, as ever.
Brexit Facts4EU.Org, 19 Sep 2019
And please scroll down to COMMENT on the above article.
Since before the EU Referendum, Brexit Facts4EU.Org
has been the most prolific researcher and publisher of Brexit facts in the world.
Supported by MPs, MEPs, & other groups, our work has impact.
We think facts matter. Please donate today, so that we can continue to ensure a clean Brexit is finally delivered.
Paypal Users Only - Choose amount first