One of the men below heads the World’s most successful defence alliance
The other man is building his own version
Who is this other man?
© EU External Action Service
And why does a “trading bloc” need a “genuine Defence Union”?
Yesterday a meeting took place at the HQ of the “European External Action Service” in Brussels. [More correctly the EU External Action Service.]
The host for this meeting was a man whom almost no-one in the UK will have heard of. His name is Josep Borrell Fontelles and he’s Spanish/Argentinian.
Brexit Facts4EU.Org Summary
The EU’s new Foreign and Defence Secretary, now speaking for the UK internationally
- He has been a member of the Spanish Socialist Workers' Party since 1975
- He was involved in the drafting of the European Constitution that eventually led to the Lisbon Treaty
- He advocated for the federalisation of all EU member countries
- In 2018 he was fined for insider trading of shares in a multinational company of which he was a director
- In July this year (2019) he acquired joint Argentinian-Spanish citizenship
- On 1 Dec 2019 he became “EU Vice-President & High Representative of the EU for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy”
- In effect he combines the roles of EU Foreign Secretary and EU Defence Secretary
Yesterday’s meeting with the NATO Secretary-General
In Brussels yesterday, Senor Borrell welcomed the NATO Secretary-General Jens Stoltenberg – a passionate Europhile – to the Headquarters of the EU External Action Service.
Whilst following the usual EU mantra of the European Union not intending to supplant NATO, merely to ‘supplement’ it, the EU’s new defence chief nevertheless said the following:
“We have to work together in order to reinforce cooperation between the Member States of the European Union and to build a genuine European Defence Union”
- Josep Borrell, EU Vice-President and de facto EU Foreign and Defence Secretary, Brussels, 09 Dec 2019
Josep Borrell now holds arguably the second most-powerful position in Brussels after that of the new EU Commission President, Ursula von der Leyen.
Almost no-one in the UK will have ever heard of him.
Senor Borrell will claim to have been elected to his position by the EU Parliament. In reality he was selected, and then presented to the MEPs as the only candidate.
This is what happens in totalitarian regimes, so we invite readers to draw their own conclusions.
[ Sources: El Pais and other Spanish press | EU Commission ] Politicians and journalists can contact us for details, as ever.
Brexit Facts4EU.Org, 10 Dec 2019
And please scroll down to COMMENT on the above article.
Since before the EU Referendum, we have been the largest researcher and publisher of Brexit facts in the world.
Supported by MPs, MEPs, & other groups, our work has impact.
We think facts matter. Please donate today, so that we can continue to ensure a clean Brexit is finally delivered.
Paypal Users Only - Choose amount first