1. Tata Steel has reportedly been losing £1m per day
for 5 years, thanks to energy costs driven up by EU green energy directives
and Chinese dumping of excess capacity in Europe.
2. EU rules prevent public support or US style anti-dumping Tariffs
to help steel companies in difficulty. US steel tariffs against China are 236% vs a 9% limit imposed by the EU.
3. Minister Anna Soubry admits the EU limits the Government's options: "We have to be very careful because we have these state aid rules"
4. Latest official data shows EU responsible for 72% of UK's steel imports
5. Today former Minister John Redwood MP states: "The way EU energy, regulatory and procurement policies are enforced in the UK versus the continent allow much more steel to be produced in the rest of the EU than here."
6. In 2015 Italy's plant produced as much as Bulgaria, Greece, Hungary, Croatia, Slovenia, Romania, and Luxembourg put together. Will the EU allow the UK's steel industry to be saved?
The UK Gets a Raw Deal - Leave the EU for a Fairer Playing Field